Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Drinking Music

Tom Waits writes about drinking and thinking and being all around creepy better then anyone else I know. While getting ready to go out, being out, and falling down at the end, no one sings my theme song better then Waits. Sample Filipino Box Spring Hog. “Naked to the Waist with my fierce black hound”. Tom’s out there in the heat, cooking up a Filipino Box Spring Hog, whatever the hell that is. Also, Jesus Gonna Be Here. Tom’s been good…except for drinking….but he knew that I would. I suggest picking up Rain Dogs, Real Gone, Bone Machine and Orphans. Don’t bother me ‘till you’ve marinated in these songs for a few weeks.

Morning 40 Federation is a New Orleans band. They sing about drinking, drugs, not bathing, and not being sorry for ant of it. Horns, guitars, and stink. Get off the couch and find one of their two CD’s. This is a band that plays to our sensibilities. Check out tracks In The Bottle, Sorry Mom, (I’m a Drunk), and Drinkin’ Gin Instead Of Whisky Tonight. That should get you started.

Any Old Black Blues Legend. May I suggest Muddy Waters, Bo Diddly, or John Lee Hooker. Work out your angst, pretend you have angst, smile knowingly. Muddy and Bo both do a kick ass version of Manish Boy. John Lee Hooker can drop his guitar down a flight of stairs and it’s genius. Learn from the pain, then dull it.

The Doors knew what they were talking about. At least Jim did. “Show me the way to the next whisky bar” Show me Jim, show me. When the Music’s Over is twenty or so minutes of I don’t know what, but it’s good.

Be selective when picking you Frank Sinatra but don’t overlook him. Summer Wind smells like a gin and tonic. One for my Baby is a tall glass of Bourbon. Drinking Again smacks of mixing it all in the same glass. Frank is to be respected, but please, feel free to punch out anyone who puts A Very Good Year in the Jukebox.