Friday, September 4, 2009

ProphetFest






Hello DayDrinkers,

We just got back from one of the best events of this year. ProphetFest. What is Prophetfest you ask? Fellow DayDrinkers from Portland "Everyday Prophets" had a festival in Richmond Indiana last weekend. Friends from all over the country were to get together and camp out for a weekend of fun and music. Though Nick (drummer for Everyday Prophets and boyfriend of my sister) designed this website, I had never met him. This was shaping up to be a good time.

I left New Orleans at 5am. I had to drive six hours to Birmingham to pick up Amanda then drive another eight hours to Cincinnati where we were meeting the band for a show. Fifteen hours after leaving NOLA we pulled up to a shady looking club outside of downtown Cincinnati. We ordered a beer and met our friends. What a surreal time. I was dead tired from the drive. The bar was a cave. The beer tasted like heaven. Across the room was my sister, my dad, a great crew from Philly, and the band. There is nothing like a totally new crew. We all got along great, were like minded, and there wasn't one wet blanket among the bunch. How often does that happen?

Reggaetronic. A perfect description for this band. Well not true. There was a soulful vibe to them that I didn't expect, or maybe the beer was going down too easy... no I'm sure of it, it was the band. I felt lucky to get to hear them play in a small venue so I could focus on the music. After the show we packed up for the hour drive to Richmond. Nick thankfully offered to drive. Since we had not ate in some time we decided to make a stop. What would be open at 1AM? White Castle! I have not eaten at a White Castle in fifteen years. Now, the White Castle menu is a tough thing to negotiate. How many bite size burgers does one order. Five? Ten? Fifteen? No. They made our decision easy. "The Crave Case" An actual suitcase filled with 30 (I believe it was 30) cheeseburgers. Can you think of a better meal before sleeping in a tent for three days?

The drive was a blur. I'm pretty sure Nick got lost and I wined for a while but I can't be sure.

The next day we woke up and started to help set up the farm. These guys meant business. I was happy to cook dinner with my dad for this group who were driving tractors, building a stage, and organizing the whole event. At night we hung out in a little cabin playing guitar, drinking and having a very mellow good time. At one point there was a huge compost fire. Other stuff happened as well but being the shitty reporter I am, I got drunk and have since forgotten most of it.

Let me stop for a minute. The fest was held on the property of Nick and Aaron's parents. What great people. They were the best hosts anyone could hope for. Two great people. Who else would have opened there beautiful land to the public... and enjoyed it! They had a blast and I say thank you to them.

Saturday, the day of the fest. The drinking started as I crawled from my tent. Hangover averted. There were vendors setting up. A Professional lighting rig. Food. The quaint farm we were on the day before was now a music destination. As someone who organizes people for a living I was impressed by the professionalism. Security, signs, butt cans. You may laugh but these are the small touched that make life easier. I wish I had pictures of all the funny things written on the butt can, If anyone does, please send them my way. We spent the day eating and drinking. As night fell there was a whole other vibe. The lights and the darkness was very cool. The area seemed to grow somehow. Seeing the band in such a different setting then in Cincinnati was awesome. Same music, completely different energy. People watching was funny and entertaining. I forgot who but someone started "Slap the Bag" This is when you pull the bag out of the box of crappy bag in the box wine and simply slip it then drink. Sounds silly and it is, but throughout the night you could hear the slap of a box of Chardonnay like gunfire. After the band finished life becomes a blur. I remember a fire. There was a kid stoking it like a maniac. I remember walking alot. I remember taking to strangers who were very strange.

The next day. I woke up to the Philly kids pulling away. Thank god there was a swig of Makers left in the bottle. Once again I bested the hangover. I beat it to the chase. It was a great day of nothing. There was some cleanup but not what you would expect from such an event. We drank, eat, slept and showered. The night ended with a movie for those who were still around.

Time to leave. In retrospect the perfect few days. An adventure. We met some great people, hopefully some new DayDrinkers. I can't wait to get to Portland to hang out again. Thanks Nick, Aaron, Rick, Kevin, and Borfus.

Check out the band at Everydayprophets.com


Cheers,

J